Online Master of Social Work
12 Month MSW
6 Starts Per Year
No GRE/MAT Required
Download a FREE Brochure
To get yours and speak with a program manager about financial aid, complete the form below.
Serve Others as a Culturally-Informed Social Service Leader
Transform Your Career with a Faith-Based Education Built on Purpose
As you prepare to make a difference in the world one individual at a time, discover how you can be in touch with our nation’s changing demographics. Ranked a “Best Online Social Work” degree by College Choice and U.S. News and World Report, Our Lady of the Lake University’s Master of Social Work degree will prepare you to care for the needs of the nation’s fastest-growing communities – and it’s one of only three programs to offer a culturally connected emphasis on Hispanic children and families in need.
Our Lady of the Lake University offers several CSWE-accredited programs in the field, so you can advance your career as a social worker at any level.
- Our 30-credit hour Advanced Standing program is designed for those with an undergraduate degree in social work from a CSWE-accredited program. Take 100% online classes and complete a practicum in your local area. Graduates of this accelerated online program can move into advanced practice in as little as 12 months.
- Our 57-credit hour Foundation program can be completed in as few as two years and is designed for those with a bachelor’s degree in any field. Build the foundation for a career in social service leadership and advanced direct practice. This program includes online classes with a comprehensive approach to social work, plus a practicum that you can do locally.
- You can also choose from an MSW Certificate in Business Essentials for Healthcare Professionals or a Dual MSW/MBA degree; both help current social workers take on leadership, administrative, and management roles in business or health care administration. A bachelor’s degree in social work is required for admission to both programs.
Start your educational journey at Our Lady of the Lake University where you’ll become part of a close-knit community that fosters your academic, spiritual, personal, and professional growth to prepare you for success and service. Become part of the next generation of leaders with a convenient online format that presents unique, hands-on learning experiences.
Flexible Online Curriculum Coupled with Real-World Field Experiences
Engage in social work research in our foundation and advanced standing program courses. Build your social work competencies with convenient online seminars and close-to-home fieldwork experiences (field placement assistance is available). OLLU’s top-notch field practicum uses the framework established by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and its Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards.
Some of our faculty experts have won teaching awards, routinely present at national conferences, and have been published in industry journals. They share their experiences with trauma-informed care, substance abuse, child welfare, and severe mental illness as well as their work with military clients, minority groups, LGBTQ, elderly, families, and other groups. You’ll gain hands-on, direct-practice experiences in a variety of settings guided by an experienced social worker.
Here are some of the courses that will prepare you for taking the licensure exam:
Advanced Standing Social Work Field Education I
First of three sequenced courses. Required field placement in an approved human service organization under the instruction and supervision of a licensed master’s level social worker. Concentration is social work practice with Hispanic children and families.
Advanced Integrative Seminar I
Seminar designed to ensure students integrate their required graduate social work coursework with the experiential learning in their field education internship. Provides an opportunity for students to demonstrate attainment of core competencies. Concentration is social work practice for Hispanic children and families.
Study of basic concepts related to the development and assessment of abnormal behavior. Content focuses on major mental disorders, the diagnostic/assessment process and its application in a variety of settings using assessment tools such as the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.
Theories and Perspectives: Hispanic Children and Families
Critical analysis of theories and perspectives on Hispanic child and family development, functioning, and interaction in the social context.
Make an Impact as a Well-Educated Interventionalist
Many professionals choose a career in social work because they can help others solve their problems and improve their quality of life. From experiencing the interconnectedness of relationships to seeing the total transformation of an individual, social workers can see great rewards every day.
Almost all clinical social work jobs require applicants to have an MSW.3 With the right education credentials and certification exams, social workers can advance in thriving careers. One fast-growing specialty is substance abuse and mental health social workers, for which employment is projected to grow much faster than average at 15% from 2020 to 2030.1
By building your skills in social service leadership and advanced direct practice with OLLU’s MSW program, you’ll be ready to sit for your LSW examination* and advance in this growing and rewarding field.
Top 10 Jobs for Social Workers4
- Medical/Clinical Social Worker
- Social and Community Service Manager
- Child Protection Services Worker
- Gerontological Social Worker
- Mental Health Social Worker
- Outpatient Health Specialist
- Public Health Manager
- Program/Clinical Director
- Hospice Social Worker
- Military Social Worker
Download a FREE BrochureGet Started
Sources and Disclaimer
- “Social Work: Occupational Outlook Handbook.” BLS. Retrieved on March 15, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/.
- “Social and Community Service Managers: Occupational Outlook Handbook.” BLS. Retrieved on March 15, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/.
- “Clinical vs Direct Practice Social Work.” SocialWorkLicensure.org. Retrieved on June 28, 2021, from https://socialworklicensure.org/.
- “Jobs and Careers in Social Work Degrees.” Affordable Colleges Online. Retrieved on June 25, 2021, from https://www.affordablecollegesonline.org/.
*Licensure requirements vary by state. Students are responsible for understanding the requirements for social work licensure in their resident state. Applicants seeking licensure are encouraged to review all applicable eligibility requirements related to the respective occupational license per the Texas occupations code HB 1508.